Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thanksgiving on my mind

With the amazingly gluttonous holiday of Thanksgiving swiftly approaching, there is one thing that has frequently been on my mind: Food. No surprise there. I think about food often no matter what time of year it is. It's just the types of food that I dream about that changes.

Springtime: fresh lemonade and the first fruits of the garden

Summer: Hamburgers, Hotdogs, and melons

Fall: Squash, apples, turkey, and pies

Winter: Hot Tea, Christmas cookies, Holiday cheeses, soups, and anything else that's warm.

Now, I'm going to admit something with the hopes that you won't come hunt me down and threaten me but I'm not a huge fan of pies. I don't know what it is about them but they just don't "hit the spot". I would much rather have an amazing piece of cake or some chocolate chip cookies.

I have always glorified making pies in my mind. Whenever I heard the women in my family talking about baking them, it was always about their struggles to get it just right. I'm no expert baker so I've never had the confidence to attempt this baking challenge, but in retrospect, I'm not really sure why. 

Last week, a dear friend came to visit me we make a pumpkin pie! Despite not being a huge fan of most types of pies, I do love pumpkin pies! The custard-y goodness is just so irresistible! I had no idea how well it would turn out. I'm not even going to try to be humble about this. It was DELICIOUS! And not to mention super duper easy. I don't understand why people don't make their own pumpkin pies more often. In comparison to other home-baked treats it was about as easy as making brownies from a box mix (if you buy the pie crust that is).
 



I am now inspired to never buy a pumpkin pie from the store, ever. I am hoping to whip up some of my newly conquered pumpkin pies for the upcoming fatty season.

No comments:

Post a Comment